Monday, July 21, 2014

head to shoulder


some people's suffering is more apparent.

the homeless person
asleep in the corner of the train

the man
yelling at people

drinking vodka from his bottle.

the woman yelling at him
to drink
behind closed doors.


but the man is here
 seeking witnesses for his pain.


I am sitting here
with no bottle...

no shards to hold
from the ruins of my brokenness.


just a tightening chest,

a thickening around my throat


no one can see.


a scream for help
buried too deep inside

no one can hear.

I want to rest my head
on the shoulder of the stranger next to me.

and the man with the drink
can rest his head on mine.

I'll help him hold
the weight of his bottle.

and just for a moment

we'll rest together.

head to shoulder head to shoulder
down the row

on the bumpy 2 train home.

--------------------------------


buy Mariel's poetry book here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive