Tuesday, October 22, 2013

what she was taught and then taught me

There was a period of intense mourning and grief in her life.

While bearing the pain of such an enormous loss
a priest
from the hospital stood near
and with a steady certainty said:
"You WILL get through this."
"You WILL."
"it might seem like there is no end to your grief
but there will be a time where you'll look back and know
that everything that happened
was part of everything else.
every moment,
sad or joyful...
helped to create YOU."

What an amazing sculpture.
What a masterful piece of art.

Our histories... our bodies... our lives.

She told me that she wished there was always a person close by
reminding her that she will get through this.
that
this too shall pass.
"how nice it would be to have someone from the outside
looking in."

I told her
that her story is now that presence in my life.

and when grief that is much bigger than my little life
starts to swallow me in its breadth...
I will remember her story...

how she did get through it
and will continue to get through this life.

sharing her stories
and her insight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive