Sunday, October 27, 2013

Longing for Longing


I wrote another song about unrequited love

but I realized
that actually
it's the song that I want
not the person

to be an artist
is to long.

to long to reveal
to long to be known
to long to connect

and it's through the act of longing, 
and expressing that longing
that I connect with my deepest self.

as Rumi says:
"The grief you cry out from
draws you toward union.
Your pure sadness
that wants help
is the secret cup.
Listen to the moan of a dog for its master
that whining is the connection.
there are love-dogs
no-one knows the names of.
Give your life
to be one of them."

This song might be about
waiting for someone to love me

but it is actually not for them.
it is for me.

and I'm waiting
only because
I never want to arrive
at a place without longing.

being in touch with the deep pain of missing something
is how I become whole.

It is when I break
that I remember
how to open
to healing, connection, and deep self-love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive