Thursday, July 17, 2014

universal mourning


Yesterday a 2 yr. old drowned in the lake in Prospect Park.
 I was going for my daily park walk by the boathouse when I saw people in panic, a mother was holding one child, pacing around the lake, police just arriving. We learned that a child was missing.
Her cousin was found on a path, wet, covered in green algae.
A police officer found a tiny sandal, covered in algae.
There is so much algae covering the lake that you cannot even see that it is water. From a 2 yr old's view, it might have looked like a grassy field to run on. 
For hours before her body was found in the lake, some park bystanders were helping look. There was a helicopter, at least 50 police officers, and all of us folk
looking through the woods and paths.
Her cousin was found on a path.
wet, covered in algae.
maybe she was just lost in the woody area of the park?
There were some people eating their lunch by the lake,
people playing games in the field near by.
If everyone that was nearby had heard about it and jumped into the green lake, would she have been saved?
We were all helping, but what if the message had been communicated sooner, that she was lost, might be in the lake...
could we all have jumped in and felt around for her body?
If everyone in the park knew that there was a missing child there would be no soccer games, no picnics, no leisurely strolls, no kissing on the bridge, no taking pictures by the boat house, no runners passing through.
I wanted to run around and scream and tell everyone.
I wanted to SCREAM---a 2 yr. old might be drowning right now!!
STOP PLAYING. PLEASE HELP.
EVERYONE.
We need EVERYONE here to help the mom look for her kid. 
Instead, my friend and I paced through the wooded paths, as instructed by the police, hoping that she was on land, and we could spot her.
The news came by the evening that her body was found in the lake.
and I am sitting here shaking. 
crying.
remembering the mother in panic---gripping to her son---running and searching.
My friend and I had gone into the park wrapped up in our lives when suddenly confronted with the horror and tragedy of the death of a 2 yr. old girl.
and now, away from the park, I am unable to leave it.
I cannot go back to the things I have to do.
There are places in the world where horrifying tragedy happens all of the time. I think immediately of Palestine. 
I read yesterday
that Palestinian Mohammad Abu Khadair was burned alive.

And then I find my way around to other war-torn countries where everyday someone is killed by a bomb or gun.

I just don't see it.
All of the mothers aren't running by me.
I am unable to see their face, gripped with terror.

What else don't I see hidden away in my tower of privilege?

Reading the news, I saw pictures of the 4 transwomen of color who were murdered this past June.
and read about how many Brazilian transgender people have died this year.

After I read about these tragedies I didn't go outside and run trying to find the perpetrator. 
I couldn't.
The news comes too late and from too far.
and I am often left paralyzed when faced with such horror


happening everyday.
every minute.
And now, I am left out of breath from searching for the little girl, but I cannot rest.
I cannot go back to my home, my piano. My tiny little bubble.
I have to continue to help fight for justice.
My heart is filled with so much sadness for the mother and her family.
I will not be able to walk by the park lake again without remembering this tragedy.
But this is just it.
I need to remember.
Yes. I need to live my life and laugh and sing, but I need to remember the people in this world struggling to live, faced with such tragedy everyday.
If all of us, privileged enough to enjoy leisure, can remember, then maybe there would be more action?
If I were able to see a Palestinian mother weeping for her child--in front of me---as a sudden interruption to my normal day---
how would the rest of my day look?
what would the things to do be?
What is the most important thing we can be doing?

"We who believe in freedom cannot rest
We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes

Until the killing of Black men, Black mothers’ sons
Is as important as the killing of White men, White mothers’ sons


We who believe in freedom cannot rest

We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes"
-Bernice Johnson Reagon


listen to the song here


--------------------------------





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive